Question 1 – 200 Words
- What are the EPA�s seven criteria pollutants and their sources? Discuss the environmental and health effects of each pollutant. Your response must be at least 200 words in length.
Question 2 – 200 Words
- Discuss how a constructed wetland system works to treat municipal wastewater. What advantages does a constructed wetland system have over conventional sewage treatment?
Your response must be at least 200 words in length.
Question 3 – 200 Words
- What are �dead zones,� and how do they form? What are the sources of pollution that cause cultural eutrophication? Your response must be at least 200 words in length.
Question 4 – 200 Words
- Discuss the main areas of progress produced by the Clean Water Act of 1972, as well as the remaining problems. Do you think that stronger legislation is required to protect our water resources? Why or why not? Your response must be at least 200 words in length. 20 points
- Match each term with its definition.
|Non-point source emissions|
|Point source emission|
|Criteria pollutants||A.Pollutants emitted from a smokestack or other concentrated pollution originB.Pollutants that are produced in less volume, but are especially toxic or hazardousC.Pollutants that become hazardous after chemical reactions in the airD.Pollutants that do not go through a smokestackE.Pollutants that are released to the air in a harmful formF.A group of seven major pollutants that contribute the largest volume of air-quality degradation|
Question 1 – 500 Words
- Write an essay consisting of at least 500 words addressing ALL of the following topics (a. through g.):
- If the rainfall intensity is 2.5 inch/hour, watershed area is 8 acres, and rational runoff coefficient is 0.6, compute the peak runoff rate in ft3/s. Use the rational formula.
- Explain the concept of time of concentration.
- Why would someone want to use the SCS TR 55 graphical method instead of the simpler rational formula for determining peak rate of runoff?
- Explain why stormwater pipes are designed to have a velocity between 3 ft/s and 10 ft/s.
- Why does land development typically increase the peak runoff rate? What are some methods used to mitigate the increased runoff rate?
- Discuss some best management practices (BMPs) for stormwater quality control?
- How does the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) affect development in flood prone areas? In your response, include discussion of the base flood level.
You are required to use at least your textbook as source material for your response. All sources used, including the textbook, must be referenced; paraphrased and quoted material must have accompanying citations.
Question 2 – 500 Word
- Write an essay consisting of at least 500 words addressing ALL of the following topics (a. through h.):
- Describe U.S. federal legislation regarding wastewater treatment and disposal.
- If 220 mg/L (milligram per liter) of BOD5 enters a wastewater treatment plant at a flow of 18 mgd (million gallons per day), how many pounds of BOD5 enter the plant each day?
- Explain the purpose and operation of a comminutor.
- What is the purpose of recirculation in a trickling filter?
- If the wastewater flow is 5 ML/day (million liters per day), MLSS is 1800 mg/L, BOD5 entering the aeration tank is 130 mg/L, and aeration tank volume is 1.5 ML (million liters), what is the F/M ratio in the tank?
- Describe the extended aeration process. When is it used?
- What are the pros and cons of wastewater treatment ponds?
- Discuss one alternative treatment technology for wastewater treatment beginning on page 264 of our textbook.