Health care management requires leadership skills which will test your ability to make vital decisions. “Like a rapidly mutating cancer cell, poor leadership within healthcare systems can cause toxi
Health care management requires leadership skills which will test your ability to make vital decisions. “Like a rapidly mutating cancer cell, poor leadership within healthcare systems can cause toxic symptoms that adversely impact organizational work cultures and staff satisfaction and lead to burnout” (Werberg, 2010, para. 1). Assessments made by leadership have a direct relation to many areas, including but not limited to the following: The quality of care provided, staff morale, and organizational reputation. As a trailblazer of your organization, you will use effective leadership skills to manage/avoid conflict, make effective recommendations, manage staff, and protect the overall quality/efficiency of the organization. To make effective decisions as a leader you should identify the major facts, indicate if or what problems exist, and finally, recommend a solution.
This assignment requires you to review a practical case study and analyze the elements of poor leadership. The case study also explores characteristics of a health care leader while introducing safety culture. Your assessment and responses to the realistic scenario should be based off leadership attributes.
Werberg, D. (2010). Transformational leadership and staff retention: An evidence review with implications for healthcare systems. Nursing Administration Quarterly. 34(3), 246-258. doi: 10.1097/NAQ.0b013e3181e70298
**Homework Case Assignment
Read the following case study published by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement:
Griner, P. (2017). Case study: On being transparent. Retrieved from http://www.ihi.org/education/IHIOpenSchool/resources/Documents/Participant_On%20Being%20Transparent.pdf
After reading the case study, you should complete a 2- to 3-page case analysis that includes three distinct sections (in addition to your introduction and conclusion):
- Major Facts – Summarize the facts in the case. This includes the most important incidents in the case. Avoid simply restating the case.
- Problem(s) – From the facts it should reveal the problems that need attention. Specify those problems and explain their significance.
- Solution and Expected Outcome – Recommend a solution, and for each recommendation provide an action on how it would be implemented. For each solution provide your expected outcome.
- Conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to justify/support your recommendations and outcomes. You should have at least two solutions and two outcomes respectively.
- Limit your response to a maximum of 3 pages.
- Support your case with peer-reviewed articles, with at least 2 references. Use the following source for additional information on how to recognize peer-reviewed journals: http://www.angelo.edu/services/library/handouts/peerrev.php.
- You may use the following source to assist in formatting your assignment: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/