Walden University Neurological Disorders Discussion Paper
Week 6: Neurologic and Musculoskeletal Disorders and Opioids
Sabrina is a 26 year old female who has just been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. She has scheduled an appointment for a follow up with her physician but has several questions about her diagnosis and is calling the Nurse Helpline for her hospital network. As she talks with the advanced practice nurse, she learns that her diagnosis also impacts her neurologic and musculoskeletal systems. Although multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disorder, both the neurologic and musculoskeletal systems will be affected by adverse symptoms that Sabrina needs to be aware of and for which specific drug therapy plans and other treatment options need to be decided on.
As an advanced practice nurse, what types of drugs will best address potential neurologic and musculoskeletal symptoms Sabrina might experience?
This week, you will evaluate patients for the treatment of neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders by focusing on specific patient case studies through a decision tree exercise. You will analyze the decisions you will make in the decision tree exercise and reflect on your experiences in proposing the recommended actions to address the health needs in the patient case study. Walden University Neurological Disorders Discussion Paper
- Evaluate patients for treatment of neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders
- Analyze decisions made throughout the diagnosis and treatment of patients with neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders
- Justify decisions made throughout the diagnosis and treatment of patients with neurologic and musculoskeletal disorders
Required Readings (click to expand/reduce)
Rosenthal, L. D., & Burchum, J. R. (2021). Lehnes pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice nurses and physician assistants (2nd ed.) St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Chapter 11, Basic Principles of Neuropharmacology (pp. 6771)
- Chapter 12, Physiology of the Peripheral Nervous System (pp. 7281)
- Chapter 12, Muscarinic Agonists and Cholinesterase Inhibitors (pp. 8289)
- Chapter 14, Muscarinic Antagonists (pp. 90-98)
- Chapter 15, Adrenergic Agonists (pp. 99107)
- Chapter 16, Adrenergic Antagonists (pp. 108119)
- Chapter 17, Indirect-Acting Antiadrenergic Agents (pp. 120124)
- Chapter 18, Introduction to Central Nervous System Pharmacology (pp. 125126)
- Chapter 19, Drugs for Parkinson Disease (pp. 127142)
- Chapter 20, Drugs for Alzheimer Disease (pp. 159166)
- Chapter 21, Drugs for Seizure Disorders (pp. 150170)
- Chapter 22, Drugs for Muscle Spasm and Spasticity (pp. 171178)
- Chapter 24, Opioid Analgesics, Opioid Antagonists, and Nonopioid Centrally Acting Analgesics (pp. 183194)
- Chapter 59, Drug Therapy of Rheumatoid Arthritis (pp. 513527)
- Chapter 60, Drug Therapy of Gout (pp. 528536)
- Chapter 61, Drugs Affecting Calcium Levels and Bone Mineralization (pp. 537556)
American Academy of Family Physicians. (2019). Dementia. Retrieved from http://www.aafp.org/afp/topicModules/viewTopicModu…
This website provides information relating to the diagnosis, treatment, and patient education of dementia. It also presents information on complications and special cases of dementia.
Linn, B. S., Mahvan, T., Smith, B. E. Y., Oung, A. B., Aschenbrenner, H., & Berg, J. M. (2020). Tips and tools for safe opioid prescribing: This review–with tables summarizing opioid options, dosing considerations, and recommendations for tapering–will help you provide rigorous Tx for noncancer pain while ensuring patient safety. Journal of Family Practice, 69(6), 280292.
Document: Mid-Term Summary & Study Guide (PDF) Walden University Neurological Disorders Discussion Paper
- Required Media (click to expand/reduce)
Laureate Education (Producer). (2019e). Complex regional pain disorder [Interactive media file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
In this interactive media piece, you will engage in a set of decisions for prescribing and recommending pharmacotherapeutics to treat complex regional pain disorders.
Disorders of The Nervous System
Reflect on the comprehensive review of disorders of the nervous system and think about how you might recommend or prescribe pharmacotherapeutics to treat these disorders. (15m)
Download Video w/CC
Speed Pharmacology. (2019). Drugs for Parkinsons Disease (Made Easy) [Video].
Note: This media program is approximately 9 minutes.
Speed Pharmacology. (2019). Pharmacology- Drugs for Alzheimer’s Disease (Made Easy) [Video].
Note: This media program is approximately 7 minutes.
Assignment: Decision Tree for Neurological and Musculoskeletal Disorders
For your Assignment, your Instructor will assign you one of the decision tree interactive media pieces provided in the Resources. As you examine the patient case studies in this modules Resources, consider how you might assess and treat patients presenting symptoms of neurological and musculoskeletal disorders.
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Science Photo Library RF
- Review the interactive media piece assigned by your Instructor.
- Reflect on the patients symptoms and aspects of the disorder presented in the interactive media piece.
- Consider how you might assess and treat patients presenting with the symptoms of the patient case study you were assigned.
- You will be asked to make three decisions concerning the diagnosis and treatment for this patient. Reflect on potential co-morbid physical as well as patient factors that might impact the patients diagnosis and treatment. Walden University Neurological Disorders Discussion Paper
By Day 7 of Week 8
Write a 1- to 2-page summary paper that addresses the following:
- Briefly summarize the patient case study you were assigned, including each of the three decisions you took for the patient presented.
- Based on the decisions you recommended for the patient case study, explain whether you believe the decisions provided were supported by the evidence-based literature. Be specific and provide examples. Be sure to support your response with evidence and references from outside resources.
- What were you hoping to achieve with the decisions you recommended for the patient case study you were assigned? Support your response with evidence and references from outside resources.
- Explain any difference between what you expected to achieve with each of the decisions and the results of the decision in the exercise. Describe whether they were different. Be specific and provide examples.
You will submit this Assignment in Week 8.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention WK8Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension) as the name.
- Click the Week 8 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 8 Assignment link. You will also be able to View Rubric for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as WK8Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension) and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission. Walden University Neurological Disorders Discussion Paper