EDUCATIONAL THINKER PRESENTATION ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS
Educational Thinker Presentation Assignment Instructions
The overview of the first three modules of this course has led you into an exploration of various educational philosophies. Traditional philosophies, modern and post-modern philosophies, as well as educational theories of transformation and transmission have all been studied along with their corresponding personalities. This assignment will give you the opportunity to take a selected personality, an educational thinker of your choice, and to “teach” this individual and their educational philosophy as if you were teaching in a classroom in both print and presentation formats, thus combining theory and practice.
Follow this checklist to guide you in completing this assignment successfully.
- Select an educational thinker from the list provided under Educational Thinker Presentation Assignment Resources.
- Research the educational ideas and educational influences of your thinker. Create a one-page handout reflecting this information, including at least 3 examples of the thinker’s ideas and at least 3 examples of the thinker’s impact on education. EDUCATIONAL THINKER PRESENTATION ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS
- Information: You may include minimal biographical information about the thinker only as it relates to how life events influenced the individual’s philosophy of education. The major focus, however, should be given to the person’s educational ideas and educational impact. Make a strong connection from the thinker’s theory to his or her practice.
- Your Name: Ensure that your name appears somewhere on the handout.
- Sources: In fine print on the back or in the footer of the handout, insert your 3 major sources in current APA format. Use credible academic sources. Wikipedia is not acceptable. (Check the index of your textbooks to see if the authors have anything to say about your thinker.)
- Link to Video Presentation: Please include the link to your video presentation on the handout.
- The handout may follow whatever format you choose and may be as creative as you wish.
- Charts, outlines, graphic organizers, conceptual maps, pictures, etc., are not required but are welcome. Some students have formatted their handouts as brochures, résumés, simulated Facebook pages, etc.
- A simple traditional outline will suffice if that is what you choose.
- Submit the handout using the appropriate link in the course submissions area.
- Prepare a 5-minute video presentation. A common error is for students to spend too much time on biographical information. Get to the ideas, impact, and critique before the 3-minute timer goes off.
- Refrain from reading the entire handout, but you may refer to it and read quotes from it. You are welcome to use note cards.
- As part of your presentation, critique the educational ideas and educational influence of the thinker. You may share what critics have stated but also give your own assessment. You must include at least 1 outside critique and 1 personal critique. EDUCATIONAL THINKER PRESENTATION ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS
- After you have recorded yourself presenting your Educational Thinking assignment, upload your video file to a platform or location from which a shareable link can be generated (e.g., Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox, YouTube, etc.). Ensure the settings of your video file will allow anyone with the URL link to your video to view it. Share your video by copying and pasting its link onto the handout document.
- Please note that you should wear professional dress when recording the video. In addition, make sure the background is neutral or “professional” in nature.
- The handout is the only document that will be submitted for this assignment. The handout must contain the link to the video presentation in addition to the required information listed above.
Note: Your assignment will be checked for originality via the Turnitin plagiarism tool. EDUCATIONAL THINKER PRESENTATION ASSIGNMENT INSTRUCTIONS