Reflecting upon our own communication barriers can help us work more effectively with our patients. In this assignment, you will write a reflection paper about a situation you have encountered either with a patient or as a patient in which there was a communication barrier. Be sure to complete the following for your reflection:
- Provide information about the context surrounding this communication barrier.
- What type of environment did this scenario take place in?
- What was your role?
- Who were you communicating with?
- What was the purpose of the communication?
- What was the outcome?
- Describe the potential barriers and challenges.
- How would you describe any factors (culture, age, socioeconomic, attitude, et cetera) that were barriers to the communication?
- How would you define the parts of the interaction or exchange that were effective and the parts that were ineffective?
- What were your personal challenges in having an effective communication with this person?
- What do you think were the personal challenges in them having an effective communication with you?
- Provide future strategies.
- Describe two new communication strategies you might use in a similar situation.
- Support your strategies with evidence-based research.
- Explain why these strategies will enhance your communication with patients in your field.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- References: At least two scholarly or professional resources. Format resources and citations according to current APA style and formatting.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Length: 2–3 typed, double-spaced pages, excluding the title page and references page.